The Wynyard Centre is made up of 2 retail concourses connecting George Street and Wynyard Station. The Hunter Arcade provides access from the station through to Pitt Street, and the Menzies Arcade running from George Street through to Carrington Street provides access to Wynyard Park, the Menzies Hotel, buses and taxis.
History of Wynyard Walkways
Wynyard has long been the main change point for travellers wishing to go north across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It is situated north of Townhall and south of Circular Quay and sits on the western perimeter of Sydney's finance sector.
All sections of the walkways below ground level are over a hundred years old. They used to contain railway workshops and the old Plaza Hotel which stood where Thakral House is today.
The railway station, to which Wynyard Walkways is connected, opened on 28 February 1932. Wynyard was originally constructed with six platforms (indeed the existing four platforms are still numbered from 3 to 6.) The original intention was that Platforms 1 and 2 would eventually serve the eastern pair of railway tracks across Sydney Harbour Bridge, and in the interim they were used to terminate the tram services that operated over those tracks from the bridge's opening in 1932 until 1958. After these tram services were withdrawn, the space occupied by platforms 1 and 2 was converted into the current underground car park, and the eastern rail tracks on the bridge were replaced by two extra road lanes. The disused tunnel and ramp that formerly connected the station to the eastern rail tracks can still be seen, mirroring those still in use to the west of the bridge.